Well man,  You've got the money to do what you want, and the skills and desire
to do your own research, and you're blind in a time when a $100 scanner will do
exactly what you need.  Good for you.  go back 10 years and your only options
would have been jaws, window-eyes, window bridge and hal, none of which were
under $800.  Omnipage worked fine under windows.  I used it for a long time
until they developed the accessibility out of it.  So you'd be looking at at
least a grand for scanning software.  You're an experienced user.  Maybe you
could do your own training or pay your own trainer, but if you weren't and
couldn't, would you suffer under the yoke of funded help, or would you sit and
do nothing?

could cost between 6 and 1200 dollars.  I wouldn't have a braille display now
if it wasn't for funding.  I simply wouldn't be able to come up with even 2 or
three grand for a cheep one, let alone 5 for the one with the features I really
wanted.  Our funding system's not great.  in fact, it's pretty terrible.  But
it hasn't bruised my dignity in the slightest to ask for things that improve my
quality of life which I would never have any hope of owning on my own.

Most blind people aren't like you and I.  If you never had the internet or a
use for the internet when you were sighted, only now you're blind and email is
the only way you might effectively communicate with some people, then how are
you supposed to do your own research on what screen readers and reading aids
and platforms are available?  We need to make a lot of changes.  There's no
reason why things should be astronomically priced in today's market.  Our
funders should be pro-active in driving the market where it needs to go.  It
will happen.  It's happening, but change is slow.  Meanwhile, if you need help
and your dignity won't allow you to ask for it, then you're shallow, and if you
don't need the help and scorn people who do because they put money in the
pockets of proprietary and greedy corporate business, then you're something
worse.

As far as jaws goes, I hate to be the one to defend the thing, but there are
two sides to every story.  The fact of the matter is, the research it tool was
publicly marketed towards people at home who wanted to look up sports scores,
because that's a huge part of the market.  On the other hand, it's also made at
least two or three proprietary corporate databases accessible for the purposes
of hiring blind employees at large companies.  I'm a jaws detractor to my
toenails, but I won't stand here and tell you they should never have wasted
time on a feature that got people up and working just because it's a
proprietary and high priced piece of crap.  Being blind is not easy.  You take
your advantages where you find them and make the most of every opportunity, or
you're in the 85 persent or so of us who don't work.  Or in my case, you bust
your butt and do everything you can and make the most of everything you get,
and you're still in the majority of blind people who don't work despite
everything you try to do.  That was me for 5 or 6 years right out of college.

Simply buying and using off the shelf products and sharing information in a
group like this one has done more towards making that change a reality than all
your pronouncements from the lofty perch of your soap box could ever do.  I
really think you need to take a good long step back and re-assess your
priorities.  We're not your enemies here, and the big business that dominated
blind people for decades is soon going to get it's comeuppance with or with out
you railing against them.  So, just try to remember that what worked out well
for you may not be right for someone else in a different situation, and there's
no sense vilifying them if they need some high priced piece of kit backed by a
company you find objectionable and paid for from sources that are beneath your
dignity.

Best,

Erik Burggraaf
User support consultant,
Now posting occasionally on twitter at eburggraaf,
1-888-255-5194
http://www.erik-burggraaf.com