Hi all,
I'm looking at getting a new phone because my current one is dying.  I love my
ipod touch and think that an iphone would be great, but I'm a stingy student
and need to be able to justify the $200 for the phone and the additional $15 a
month on the phone bill.  If there are ways that having an iphone could
significantly increase  independence or help with personal organization etc. I
would feel that the cost was justifiable.

Most of the articles I have found about the iphone for blind and visually
impaired users offer vague assertions that the iphone increases the
independence of blind people but not a lot of specific info.  My guess would be
that apps like digit-eyes, saytext, and gps apps could be extremely helpful and
would be worth the investment if they worked well.  I have read mixed reviews
on digit-eyes and saytext though.  How viable are these apps?  Are there other
apps that might make my life easier as a totally blind person?

I would appreciate any thoughts or resources that might help answer these
questions.

Have a great day,
Greg