Note: this post is a bit windows orientated; for some reason I thought
you'd sent this to viphone, but I'm sending it anyway in the hope that
it may help others as well.
John,

I've also had this happen and it's really really annoying. Unlike you,
I like to download / sync my podcasts every morning while I shower so
that there on my iPhone for the rest of the day, so this tends to be a
huge problem.
I've actually given up on using iTunes for podcasts and have switched
over to juice. I'm not sure if it's the best podcatcher out there
these days since I've stuck with it for a few years now or if theres a
mac version come to think of it, but it always seems to do the job.

Heres where things start to get interesting though.

I like things to be as seemless as possible, especially in the
mornings, so I had to figgure out a easy way for the podcasts to be
downloaded via juice and then imported into my iTunes library more or
less automaticly.

So, heres how I have everything set up. You should be able to
duplicate this using apple script but I can't provide any examples I'm
afraid.

1: Juice downloads my podcasts when ever it wants to; this is usually
with in minutes of them being uploaded. They then get saved in the
automaticly add to itunes library folder.
It would be great if iTunes would simply add all of these files to
it's library, but alas, that would be too simple. Itunes only adds
files that are in the root of the automaticly add to itunes folder,
completely disregarding any sub folders. This is a problem since juice
makes a sub folder for each podcast that I'm subscribed to.
2: I wrote a batch script that inspects the automaticly add to itunes
folder and any sub folders that exist with in it. The script grabs all
the mp3's that are in the different sub folders and moves them to the
root of the automaticly add to itunes folder after which, the now
empty sub folders automaticly get deleeted.
This is set to run every morning, just before I get up.

It was a bit of a pain to set up, but it actually works quite well
now. I always get my podcasts and everything is done automaticly.

Hope that helped someone.

Ben.