I am just wondering how long is this topic going to keep going? What does it have to do with the purpose of the list? What does it have to do with the mac and voiceover? I was just wondering if the monitors can simplely remove the fokes who are using bad language and just have a 0 tolerance policy. So we won't have to keep going like the energizer bunny. It is just that I receive a lot of e-mails in my in box and I don't need anymore that are off topic. I really enjoy this list when it is on topic and have gained a lot of imformation. I really appreciated the eforts of the monitors who have taken it upon themselves to start this list. Please folks return to the original topic of discussing the mac and voiceover. Heather ----- Original Message ----- From: "Marc Workman" <mworkman.li...@gmail.com>
To: <macvisionaries@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2011 1:08 PM
Subject: Re: bad language was Re: =What the Verizon phone means for Apple

Scott asked,
What's reasonable, who's definition of language?

Marc says,
The communities definition, the moderators definition, the definition of the wider society.

Scott asked,
Why do prudes always want reasonable when their beliefs aren't and use some sort of artificial moral high ground to brow beat others in to submission?

Marc asks,
why do you insist on calling others names because they don't share your opinion on this subject? I use offensive language all the time, but this doesn't mean that it is appropriate in all situations. You don't have to be a prude to think that swearing in front of a child, or on a bus, or on this list is inappropriate.

Scott asked,
What if I objected to the word piano because I had a bad Piano experience as a child and expected you to be reasonable and not use the word piano? If this is acceptable then where does that logic end?

Marc says,
It's a good thing we're not talking about the indiosyncratic linguistic preferences of a single person because then you might actually have a point. We're talking about linguistic standards that shift over time and are nagotiated through social dialogue, not one single person's feelings towards a couple of words.

Scott said,
At no time did anyone post anything that violated the FCC rules for over the air transmition. Even though I think the FCC is a bunch of stufed suits that seems like a fairly reasonable template and anyone who objects to content that fits with in that template is an old fuddy duddy of the highest order.

Marc says,
again with the name calling. You clearly don't understand the opposing position on this issue. I would urge you to take some time to reread the posts and think about what is being said.

Scott said,
Here's a brilliant idea with a lot of historical backing. Instead of silencing someone which is a very common practice in the blind community lists especially why not use that delete key that's located in the upper right of your keyboard? Nobody loses in that situation. You don't get your pretty little sensibilities hurt and nobody loses their right to express themselves. Live and let live, turn the other cheek, all that mumbo jumbo.

Marc says,
If we were talking about silencing a controversial idea, simply because it was controversial, I, and I'm sure many others, would totally agree. We're not talking about silencing a different opinion, a minority position, or anything like that, despite your attempts to suggest that is what's going on. We're talking about avoiding language that is generally considered offensive. It's really not a difficult request to comply with, especially when writing as opposed to speaking, where things tend to slip out unintentionally.

Best,

Marc

----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Granados" <scott.grana...@gmail.com>
What's reasonable, who's definition of language?

Why does your definition superseed mine? Why do prudes always want reasonable when their beliefs aren't and use some sort of artificial moral high ground to brow beat others in to submission?

What if I objected to the word piano because I had a bad Piano experience as a child and expected you to be reasonable and not use the word piano? If this is acceptable then where does that logic end?

At no time did anyone post anything that violated the FCC rules for over the air transmition. Even though I think the FCC is a bunch of stufed suits that seems like a fairly reasonable template and anyone who objects to content that fits with in that template is an old fuddy duddy of the highest order.

Heh

Here's a brilliant idea with a lot of historical backing. Instead of silencing someone which is a very common practice in the blind community lists especially why not use that delete key that's located in the upper right of your keyboard? Nobody loses in that situation. You don't get your pretty little sensibilities hurt and nobody loses their right to express themselves. Live and let live, turn the other cheek, all that mumbo jumbo.

Good times!