Hi Donna,

and to complete the list of possibilities ;-)
you could also use the following Apple-Script and give it a shortcut in the
keyboard commander in VoiceOver utilities:

tell application "Finder"
        open folder "Macintosh HD:User:YourUser:Downloads:"
end tell

Just replace "YourUser" with the user name of your home folder.

All the best
Jürgen