Thanks for the reply. I found the trial version of this software. Will this trial convert scanned immages to text? i'm happy to pay for it, but I need to test it before I buy. I need to scan my bi study materials next week so need to make sure it'll work. I hope it does, because I am thinking of going totalY mac and not using windows again unless I have too.
Thanks,
Steph
----- Original Message -----
From: Scott Howell <scottn3...@gmail.com
To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
Date sent: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 19:15:41 -0500
Subject: Re: scanning software for the mac

I personally use ABBYY Fine Reader Express. It will interface with most twain compliant scanners. Others will have something to say on this subject as well. As far as installing software, I will give you the most basic information because there is a lot to cover as far as technical details. So, basically you have software that is rapped in a disk image and most of these have an extension of dmg. This disk image when opened mounts to the desktop and contains the application or perhaps an a self-contained installer package, which incidentally has an extension of pkg. SOmetimes software is simply archived as a zip file and once opened it generally will extract the contents of the zip in the same location (i.e. in the downloads folder if that is where your downloads are located). If the file is an app (not a pkg file or installer) you can simply copy the app into the Applications folder. When you run the app, it will create any preference files etc. If the app is an installer package, you would not copy this to the Applications folder. You can just run it from wherever you are and it will install the software and any other supporting files into the proper locations. You can unmount the disk image by selecting it and pressing command-e to eject the disk. This is a very quick and dirty description without piling to many details on you. There are a lot of great resources out there that cover the topic in greater detail and you might want to do some reading and research.
I am sure others will have plenty to share on this topic as well.
Hope that helps some and gets you started.
Scott