I have written two extensive articles on jailbreaking. They can be found at
http://applevis.com/guides/ios/jailbreaking-101-introduction-blind-perspective
and
http://applevis.com/guides/ios/jailbreaking-104-installing-jailbreak-apps-using-cyder-2

Also, Icy went open source, and you can download a new version designed for OS
4, as described in jb104. If you wish to install Icy after you jailbreak, copy
the files in this zip to the autoinstall path for jb apps, also described in
jb104.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3819637/Icy.zip.
JB101 also explains where to find the latest and most reliable jailbreak
information.
Hth,
Rose