Hi Anne,

I think you have hit the nail on the head. THe problem for most people who are
using windows and windows screen readers is they have received some form of
training. I for example since switching to Microsoft Office 2007 have struggled
to accomplish a lot of formatting tasks. My employer can train me how to use
the office suite, but unless I receive training from someone who uses
Window-Eyes as well, it would not be as effective. I do fortunately use a Mac
for nearly everything at work, so I can use Textedit and MS Word to get most
things done. Not an elegant  solution, but I have not had time to find the
correct training. My point is that understanding VoiceOver is one part of the
puzzle, but iWorks like most any office suite will take some form of training,
whether that be reading a manual or taking a formalized training course. If
Kevin had that opportunity, he probably would have a much easier time of it. I
suspect though with a fairly good understanding of VOiceOver, it would be
easier for a sighted trainer to teach a blind person how to use the iWorks
suite just because of how VoiceOver interacts with the applications and OS.
Of course what do I know, I just hack along and figure stuff out. :)

Scott