Hello Chris,

There are a few things you could try.

The easiest is to reset the PRAM. To do this, shut down your computer, then
hold down the following 4 keys: Command, Option, P and R. With these held down,
press the Power button once and keep holding down those pesky keys! Wait until
you've heard the startup chime four times, then let go of the keys and allow
your computer to boot normally.

If this doesn't help, try repairing the disk. This requires you to use the
Installation DVD.

Shut down your computer, then insert the Installation DVD. Hold down the letter
C and press the Power key. Once you're sure it's reading the DVD you can let go
of the C key.

After a while, you'll get the Language Chooser screen. Click Continue, then on
the next screen, go to the menus and navigate right until you find Utilities.

Select Disk Utility and open it.

Select Repair Disk and keep an eye on it to see what it comes up with. You can
do this by interacting with the Results table.

At least this will tell you whether there is something seriously wrong or not.

When it's finished, quit Disk Utility and shut down your machine again.

You can then start it up again as normal.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Anne