Folks - Here's another GPS App to consider if you're in the US or Canada:
MotionX GPS Drive. I've been evaluating it and am very impressed so far. The
initial review on Applevis, posted last August, says this App was inaccessible
at that time, but the version I'm testing, version 9.1 released on 10 February
2011, is very accessible and has the following two important features I think
make it stand out at the moment:

1. The current version of this App gives automatically spoken turn-by-turn
directions when walking, with no reaching in the pocket, tapping the screen,
shaking the phone, or any other sort of interaction required. In my testing,
whenever I reached an intersection, the App automatically said something like,
"turn right on happy pleasant lane." The voice, BTW, is the "lovely" Acapella
Heather. And when I intentionally walked past my turn, she said "recalculating
route" and when I reached the next intersection she correctly stated, "now turn
right on nasty dog wandering loose road."

2. Like Garmin's StreetPilot, this app uses Navteq cloud based maps, However,
with MotionX you can pre-load maps when planning your route, something you
cannot currently do with StreetPilot. You can select the amount of storage
space to use, from 256 MB up to 2 GB, and there is an accessible meter telling
how much storage you've used. There's also a button to clear the cached maps.
When you choose to pre-load maps, there is an accessible progress indicator.
Thus you can pre-load maps while wi-fi connected to help minimize cellular data
usage and in addition you will still theoretically be receiving directions on
your trip even if you've lost your cellular data connection. Also, when you
choose to pre-load your maps you have a choice to listen to a simulation of
your route. This is spoken just as if you were en route, including the time
between turns, and while there is a setting to run the simulation at 8x, I've
been unable to find a way to manually force the simulation to move to the next
turn.

The App does have it's share of issues. Here are a few of the ones I consider
most important:
1. While most controls and labels are accessible and properly labeled, there
are a few exceptions. Most buttons on the "Search" page are not labeled, but
fortunately you can work around this by using the "Go To" page instead, which
has well labeled buttons and, as far as I can tell, allows you to perform all
of the same functions found in the Search page.
2. There are inconsistencies in the labeling and manipulation of some of the
radio buttons, switch buttons, and check boxes. While I did not find any that
couldn't easily be figured out, it takes a bit of patience.
3. The button in the top left corner of every screen is labeled "button
ondemand up." If you double-tap it will either tell you to select a destination
or tell you the current segment of your trip.
4. While VO is able to read almost everything on the "directions list" screen,
VO is unable to read the part that tells you which way to turn. There is a
little graphic of an arrow pointing left or right, but VO is not able to read
them.
5. I'm not sure how good or bad the POI database is just yet. The default list
of POI around my home address was severely lacking. However, when I searched
for POI and entered my address manually, I got much better results.
6. While the main menu and many of the sub-menus are well laid out, there are
some screens that seem jumbled and slightly confusing to navigate with VO.
7. There are some other minor glitches but overall I think this App is worth a
look. I will be continuing to use this App and will add to my comments posted
to the Applevis site.

HTH,
Bryan

Interestingly, MotionX GPS Drive is currently the top Paid App in the
Navigation section of the US App Store. I don't know if that means top rated or
top selling, but that's how I stumbled on it.
The pricing scheme is a bit different from others I've seen. The initial
purchase price for the general IOS version is US 99 cents. There is also an
iPad specific version called MotionX GPS Drive HD for US $2.99.
The initial purchase price buys you the full app with visual navigation and a
30 day trial of what they call "live voice guidance" which means spoken
turn-by-turn navigation. According to MotionX's literature, the way they make
their money and pay for the navteq maps is by charging for the live voice
guidance. After the 30 day trial runs out, you can purchase monthly for $2.99
or yearly for $19.99.