Hi Justin,

I'm not sure there is a definitive answer to your question, because for most
model computers multiple suppliers are used, so there is no guaranteeing that
an answer from one user will ensure that the model you buy will have the
(older) Texas Instruments chipset.  Here's a relevant recent post (e.g. last
week) to the ProSound web site that contains links to help you follow up your
answer:

<begin quote>
As you mentioned, Apple has indeed changed their Firewire chipset in some
models to the LSI/Agere FireWire chip-set with which many have seen with whom,
including audio interface stalwart RME where the issues has been extensively
documented in their forum. There has been a great deal of discussion in the RME
forum which ended in a conclusion that when using Mac’s containing the
LSI/Agere chipset their audio devices only work when a FireWire drive is placed
between the audio interface and the computer. It’s an odd problem, but I can
honestly say that you wouldn’t be the first. While I can’t confirm that your
computer has this chipset, all the information you need is contained in these
lengthy forum posts: http://bit.ly/MacFW and http://bit.ly/MacFW2 and
http://bit.ly/MacFW3
<end quote>

The three links provide more information about work-arounds, including the
order in which you should connect to devices, to deal with this problem which
has been stated as:
"Apple for the first time uses a PCIe to FW controller in the new iMacs, from
Agere. Obviously this one needs some driver optimizations to operate as good as
the formerly used PCI TI chips."

You can also go directly to the RME forum firewire thread page:
http://www.rme-audio.de/forum/viewforum.php?id=4
which has sticky threads for "Workaround for Fireface/iMac problem" and
"Hardware Alert: FireWire solutions with Agere FW chip" and read some of the
discussion.  Also, I'm not sure how bad the current problem is; there was one
early batch of LSI/Agere chipsets (revision 6) that really broke things, but
that was a while ago, and I think most recent devices using this chip may be at
revision 8.

An old post (from the first link) summarized this as:
<begin quote>
FireWire connection problems with Apple computers:

1. TI chipsets (older iMacs, Macbook, Macbook Pro): no problems

2. LSI PCIe chipsets (newer and current iMacs, Macbook, Macbook Pro):

- FW643 (FW800, PCI ID 5901) and FW533 (FW400, PCI ID 5903) Revision 6:
connection problems, stop after playback starts - solved with a FW repeater (e.
g. Lindy cable, external Lacie FW HD)

- FW643 (FW800, PCI ID 5901) and FW533 (FW400, PCI ID 5903) Revision 7: no
problems

Revision 7 Chipsets are also identified as: FW643E and FW533E.

The included chipset can be identified (partially) while pressing CMD + S
during the boot signal ("Firewire (OHCI) Lucent ID 5901 built-in now active,
...") or via the console (see below).
<end quote>

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther