Thanks to an answer from Rogue Amoeba, I can respond to my own post.

Any attempt on the part of a voiceOver user to explore or interact with the set
play head and time selection dialogs causes focus to move out of the input
fields, rendering it impossible to enter anything.

Every time field consists of four sections: hours, minutes, seconds and
hundreds of a second.  They are auto set to begin at the hour marker.  The tab
key moves between sections, and the return key confirms the selection.  If the
play head value entered exceeds the run time, the play head is placed at the
end.  I'm not sure what happens in the case of a bad selection.  They promised
to work on these dialogs, but as long as I enter four fields for the play head,
or eight fields in the selection dialog I have no trouble whatsoever, and can
verify that I entered my desired values correctly at the selection window.

Hope this helps someone.
Geoff