Hi:

My name is Joseph Norton, from Dalton, GA.

As i mentioned before, I have just ordered a new Mac Mini and am anxiously
awaiting delivery.

I have long been a DOS and Windows user and have had experience in Linux, most
notably the console mode.  While I have recently played around with ORCA under
X-Windows, I have mostly stuck to command-line stuff under Linux.

>From some recent BlindCoolTech podcasts, (Thanks Mike), and from comments of
>other happy Mac users of VoiceOver, I decided the time had come to learn a new
>OS.  Also, the fact that I could just go out and buy the computer and not have
>to spend a dime on another screen-reader was a big deciding factor.  Not to
>mention the fact that, if I so desire, I can install the OS from scratch,
>without sighted assistance, if I need to--and I probably will do it, just to
>get the feel for it.  I may be a bit strange, but, I like to play with
>installing an OS, trying different ways to configure it, and, even see how I
>can have more than one OS on the same machine.

Back a few years ago, I had a machine with Windows 98 SE, Windows XP and Linux.
 It was so nice to know that, I had tools for accomplishing different things in
each OS, each with their own strengths and weaknesses.  I even had drive images
of different versions of Windows so I could troubleshoot.

One time, for example, I had a friend who spent two hours with AOL tech support
because he could not access the Internet through their service.  Since he was
using Windows 95, I used by image of Windows 95 and was able to duplicate his
problem.  I was able to tell him how to access hidden older versions of the AOL
software on the CD's they used to send out, which fixed his problem.  The AOL
support person did not have a clue what my friend should do.  I had him up and
running in 10 minutes or so, after I found out what the problem was.

Now, I hope to add experience with MAC OS to my learnings.

I have seen posts on this list and you all seem to be very helpful.  Keep up
the good work.  We newbie's out there may need a hint or two along the way.  I
have already learned some things I might need to know.

This is probably the longest post from me that you will see.  I apologize if I
have taken more time than necessary, but, I will keep it more to the point in
the future.

Again, I can't wait to dive into this new experience.

database 5915 (20110228) __________

http://www.eset.com