Hello. I tried this but ITunes opened in safe mode.

-----Original Message-----
From: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
[mailto:macvisionaries@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Tim Kilburn
Sent: Friday, March 11, 2011 6:06 PM
To: macvisionaries@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: moving iTunes library

Hi Chris,

The easiest way to do this is to simply copy the entire iTunes folder from
your Home Directory to the external drive.

1.  Go to the Finder.
2.  Press cmd-shift-h to open your Home Directory.
3.  Navigate to the Music folder.
4.  Locate the iTunes folder and press cmd-c to Copy it.
5.  Navigate to your external drive and Paste it onto the drive, preferably
at the root level but it's not necessary.

This could take a while depending on the size of your iTunes folder.

6.  After it's done, confirm the sizes of each folder for a rough estimate
of whether it did the job or not.
7.  You can now start iTunes while holding down the Option key.

This will bring up the Choose iTunes Library dialog for you.  If it does
not, you'l need to quit iTunes and try again.

8.  Once the dialog is up, press cmd-shift-c to bring up what's attached to
your computer.
9.  Locate your external drive, and expand it with VO-back slash.
10.  Select the iTunes folder that you just copied over.
11.  Press the Open or Choose button, I'm not sure which it is at that
point.

That should do it for you.  You can check to make sure all is well in
computerland.  All your playlists and everything to do with iTunes should be
exactly the same as it was before this action.  If everything is OK, then
navigate back to the iTunes folder in your Home Directory, and throw it in
the Trash.  Don't forget to empty your Trash after this otherwise it's not
actually going to save you any space.

One other thing to note with this set up, this iTunes Library can only be
accessed while the external drive is connected to your machine.  If you are
using a laptop and you leave the external at home, the items in the iTunes
Library will not be accessible to you at all.  You could, in this case, keep
two iTunes Libraries, one with everything and one with a streamlined amount
of things.  They will remain independent of each other, that is, if you
delete something in one, it will not delete in the other and similarly if
you add to one, you'll need to add it to the other if you wish it in both.

Hope this is clear enough.

Later...

On 2011-03-10, at 10:57 PM, Chris Snyder wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have recently realized that my iTunes library is taking up way too much
space on my primary hard drive. I'd like to move all of the content to my
portable hard drive and have iTunes access the files from there. Is there an
easy way to do this without losing all my playlists and such?
> Friendly,
> Chris

Tim Kilburn
Fort McMurray, AB Canada