Hi Donna,

According to Apple, the one thing to beware of is the wattage of the mag-safe
adapter you are using. Apple has produced mag-safe adapters in three different
wattage levels: 85, 60 and 45. They say it is OK to use an adapter rated at a
higher wattage but not one rated at a lower wattage than the particular macbook
is designed for. The KB article below gives more details and includes tables of
the various macbook models, their release dates, and their wattage
requirements. Note this article is US-specific.
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2346

HTH,
Bryan