Hi:
The function keys at the top of the keyboard are set by default to control
things like brightness and volume.  When using voiceover, the function keys are
often employed to perform software related tasks.  Therefore, it is recommended
that VO users change the setting to have them do Software by default.  This
way, you might only require to use your FN key at the bottom of the keyboard
for things like volume, Pageup, pagedown, end and home.
The setting to make the f-keys perform software functions is in your apple
menu, (ccl-option-m), under system preferences.  Select hardware, keyboard, and
keyboard again, and check the box that says, "use all f1, f2, etc. keys as
standard function keys..."
Hth
Carolyn