Hi Michael:
I'll agree with you that Skype is kind of a mess these days.  I can tell you I
managed to find the off-line contacts as "addressbook", which I was able to
expand and make some use of.  Be sure to interact with every little thing when
you're exploring the Skype tables.

As far as going back to 2.8, my only suggestion would be to try googling for it.

Hope this helps just a little.