I respectfully disagree with this point of view.  Sure, you might be good at
fixing things yourself, but then again you might not.  If you aren't, and you
don't have the warranty, you're stuck paying a large amount of money.  If you
do have the warranty, you pay now, but don't have to possibly pay more in the
future if the machine breaks.
Just my opinion,
Zack.