Hi Louie,

I feel as though I am missing your main point.  Do I understand that you have
set up your Numpad Commander definition so that Shift+1 is set to "Describe
Item in Mouse Cursor" and you want to set up an AppleScript to "Describe Item
in Mouse Cursor"?  As a Mac laptop (only) user from back in Tiger, when there
was no Numpad Commander, I'm used to typing the keyboard shortcuts directly.
So I would just press VO-F5 to get a description of what is under the Mouse
Cursor, just as I would press VO-F3 to get a description of what is in the
VoiceOver Cursor.

Now, let's say that you wanted to set something up that worked more simply,
either because you find it annoying to press that many keys, or because it just
hasn't sunk down that deep into muscle memory and you might not remember the
keystrokes.  Why wouldn't you just set up a Keyboard Commander shortcut for
this?  For example, let's say that I wanted to set up a shortcut so that when I
press the right Option key plus the letter "d" VoiceOver would describe what is
under the mouse cursor.  I could set this up in VoiceOver Utility. (I'll
digress to describe how the Keyboard Commander table is laid out in step 5.
Ignore all but the first sentence if you only want to set up a shortcut.  I'll
also describe what the navigation is like with TrackPad Commander):

1. VO-F8  to open VoiceOver Utility
2. Press "c" to navigate to "Commanders"
3. VO-Right arrow to the "Keyboard" tab and select with VO-Space
4. Navigate (VO-Right arrow) to the check box "Enable Keyboard Commander" and
check it (VO-Space)
5. Navigate (VO-Right arrow) to the radio button for which Option key (left or
right) to use with the keyboard shortcut command and select it (VO-Space)
(e.g., I would choose the right option key here).  If I want to check the
default keyboard commander definitions, I'd navigate (VO-Right arrow) to the
table and interact (VO-Shift-Down Arrow). I'd find a list of keyboard keys and
their command actions.  For example, the first entry would have the keyboard
key "m", and in the next column (VO-Right arrow) the associated command is
"Open Application: Mail".  If I wanted to changed the key assignment for the
command, I could move my Mouse cursor to the VoiceOver cursor (VO-Command-F5)
and highlight it by clicking (VO-Shift-Space), then press "Return" to edit the
field and type in a new letter. To change the associated command, you would
navigate (VO-Right arrow) to the command column, VO-Space on the menu button,
and use your arrow keys to select another option.  Stop interacting with the
table (VO-Shift-Up arrow) when done.
6. Navigate (VO-RIght arrow) past the table of keyboard commands to the "Add"
button and press (VO-Space)
7. A new entry will be added to the table of keyboard commands, and you'll be
placed in the edit field for the keyboard key (VoiceOver says "One row added,
edit text").  I'd type "d" here if I wanted to define a Keyboard Commander
shortcut activated by pressing the (Right) Option+d keys. Then I'd press tab to
move to the next field.  There seems to be a VoiceOver bug, in that focus stays
on the "Add" button outside of the table, so VO-Left arrow (to get focus back
to the table), and interact (VO-Shift down arrow). Navigate back to the Command
column (VO-Right arrow). To select the command ("Describe Item in Mouse
Cursor"), VO-Space.  Then VO-Down arrow "Information" and right arrow to the
sub-menu entries to "Describe Item in Mouse Cursor" and VO-Space to select that
entry.
8. Stop interacting with the table (VO-Shift-Up arrow) when done.
9. You'll now have a Keyboard Commander Shortcut definition for "Describe Item
in Mouse Cursor" when you press the Right Option Key+d.

Interestingly, the process of navigating and assigning the shortcut is easier
with TrackPad Commander.  If you have a recent MacBook (the Unibody models with
single trackpad area -- clicks by pushing down the entire trackpad instead of a
trackpad button) or a connected Magic TrackPad under Snow Leopard, make sure
TrackPad Commander is on (hold down the VO keys and rotate two fingers
clockwise on the trackpad).

1. VO-F8 to bring up VoiceOver Utility
2. Press "c" to navigate to "Commanders"
3. On the trackpad, flick right to "Keyboard" and double tap
4. Flick right to the checkbox for enabling keyboard commander and double tap
5. Flick right to the radio button for using the right option key and double
tap.
6. Flick right past the table of keyboard commander shortcuts to the "Add"
button and double tap
7. Press "d" (or whichever key you want to assign) in the text edit field, then
press tab. Flick left to move focus from the "Add" button to the table, then do
a two finger flick right to interact. Flick right to the command menu button
and double tap. Run your finger vertically down to the "Information" menu
category and double tap; then flick right to "Describe Item in Mouse Cursor"
and double tap.
8. Do a two finger flick left to stop interacting with the table
9. Press Command-W to close the window.

HTH.  Cheers,

Esther