I've scene usb drives with write protect switches, or it might be a sd
card inside a enclosure which allows for a write protect switch.

They wouldn't have a need to really though; I'm guessing that if you
managed to delete snow leopard from the drive it would be your
problem, unless you were willing to pay Apple for another one.