Greetings all,

For those of you on the VIPhone list, this will be an entry from the DORD
(department of redundancy department).  After having read two posts sent to
this list earlier today which I will quote below, I decided that this list
might also need a reminder.

At this writing, 688 addresses are subscribed to the Macvisionaries list.  I
strive to avoid cluttering the list with mod notes, but considering our recent
growth and over abundance  of dubious content (see below) we've reached the
point where I must again ask for everyone's help keeping the list traffic
manageable.

Please bare in mind that the number of subscribers and volume of posts are the
primary reasons why this list can not function as a chat group.  Simply put, if
the clutter reaches a certain point, its reasonable to expect that many
subscribers who are willing to help will conclude that the time commitment
necessary to follow and contribute to the list is greater than what is possible
in their lives.  A formula that may illustrate the impact of a post is that if
we except that it takes a screen reader user a minimum of five seconds to
dispose of a message, even if its just to read the header and hit delete.
Multiplying 688 subscribers times five seconds equals an absolute minimum of
over 57 minutes of human life consumed by each and every post.  We therefore
ask that before posting, please take an introspective moment to consider
whether your content warrants the time and attention of 974 (and counting)
people.

Another contributor to excessive list traffic occurs when members who are
capable of conducting a modicum of research such as looking on the app store or
entering a Google search instead opt to consume everyone's time by posting a
question which could have easily been answered in a minute.  To be sure we all
come to the table with different knowledge and abilities, and I probably speak
for the entire list in saying that I would have all the patients in the world
with someone who does not yet understand the app store interface asking what an
app does, but there is absolutely no excuse for someone who is clearly familiar
with the app store app to dump a question on the list asking (for example) the
price of an app.  Having said that, when posting about an app please try and
anticipate questions and include as much information as possible such as the
app's description, price, URL, and regions where it's available if known.

We are still working on putting formal guidelines together, but in the mean
time, I expect newcomers will not initially realize the size of this list hence
will believe that an intro post is appropriate.  I ask, however that all
replies to such posts take place off list unless of course others on the list
might benefit from your content.  E.G. a message such as "hello Joe Blow,
Welcome to the list.  Lots of wonderful people hang out here. should be sent
privately.  Can you imagine how overwhelming it would become if all 688 of us
post a welcome message like that in response to an introduction?  An example of
a welcome message that is totally appropriate for public consumption is
something like: "Hello Joe, when I began using my Mac I found it much easier to
use the trackpad and keyboard commanders than remembering these five finger key
commands .".

Thanks for helping us keep this list directed and worth while for everyone.

Below are a small sampling of two posts written today which would have been
more aptly sent privately.  My intent is not to pick on anyone, but rather to
give examples of the kind of content that in the opinion of the list management
team and presumably most subscribers does not warrant the time and attention of
an extremely large audience.

Best regards.
Geoff