Hi William -- You might need to unlock that preference pane in order to make
any changes. To unlock the security preference pane while in the general tab of
the pane, VO through the pane until you hear, "Click the lock to make changes,
button." Click this by pressing VO-Spacebar and you will be prompted for your
system password. Once you've correctly entered the password those boxes should
no longer be greyed out. Once you've made your changes, you might want to go
back and lock this preference pane by navigating back to the lock and clicking
it again..

HTH,
Bryan