Firstly, thanks to Anne R for posting her VueScan settings and to Sandy T for
setting a good example of tenacity when it comes to mastering a scanning / OCR
application. I've spent some time with Vuescan now and am liking the results so
far. I'm using the 64 bit trial on a 1.6GHZ MBA with 4GB ram, SL, and a USB
connected HP Photosmart C6150.

Upon first launch of the Vuescan app it automatically recognized my HP
Photosmart. While entering Anne's suggested settings I noticed I had a few
additional options which I assume are unique to each different scanner model.
One of my input options was to select either Flatbed or Doc Feeder as this
device has a document feeder on top of the lid covering the flatbed. I know
from experience that the scanning hardware associated with the doc feeder does
not produce nearly as high quality scans as the flatbed, but I decided to try
the doc feeder first just to see if it might be acceptable. It quickly scanned
a 3 page document and created my target RTF file, but the text was garbage. I
then closed and relaunched Vuescan, went back through the settings and this
time chose flatbed, and the results were very good. I tried a few pages from
various types of printed material and they all gave similar results. I've
pasted below what I think was probably the most challenging document. It's a
page from an insurance policy that was faxed to me. I've replaced all sensitive
info with xxxxxxx but all of the replaced text, including policy numbers and
dollar amounts, had been interpreted correctly by the OCR engine. BTW- TextEdit
did not automatically launch for me either, as others have noted, and when I
installed the demo of BBEdit and set it as the editor of choice, it too did not
open automatically. I imagine this is a small bug that the developer can easily
fix in a future update.
Cheers,
Bryan

POLICY NUMBER: xxxxxxxxx
ZND OF 2 PAGES
POLICY NUMBER: xxxxxxx ZND OF 2 PAGES
ANY PERSON WHO KNOWINGLY AND WITH INTENT TO DEFRAUD ANY INSURANCE COMPANY OR
OTHER PERSON FILES AN APPLICATION FOR INSURANCE OR STATEMENT OF CLAIM CONTAIN-
ING ANY MATERIALLY FALSE INFORMATION OR CONCEALS FOR THE PURPOSE OF MISLEADING,
INFORMATION CONCERNING ANY FACT MATERIAL THERETO COMMITS A FRAUDULENT INSURANCE
ACT; WHICH IS A CRIME AND SUBJECTS SUCH PERSON TO CRIMINAL AND CIVIL PENALTIES.
»
J I HAVE RECEIVED AND READ A COPY OF THE "xxxxxxx INSURANCE PRIVACY
STATEMENT". BY SUBMITTING THIS APPLICATION, I AM APPLYING FOR ISSUANCE OF A
POLICYfOF INSURANCE AND, AT ITS EXPIRATION, FOR APPROPRIATE RENEWAL POLICIES
ISSUED EY xxxxxxx INSURANCE COMPANY AND/OR OTHER MEMBERS OF THE
xxxxxxx OF INSURANCE COMPANIES. I UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT ANY
INFORMATION ABOUT ME THAT IS CONTAINED IN, OR THAT IS OBTAINED IN CONNECTION
WITH, THIS APPLICATION OR ANY POLICY ISSUED TO ME MAY BE USED BY ANY COMPANY
WITHIN THE xxxxxxx TO ISSUE, REVIEW, AND RENEW THE INSURANCE FOR
WHICH I AM APPLYING. I HEREBY DECLARE THAT THE FACTS STATED IN THE ABOVE
APPLICATION ARE TRUE AND REQUEST THE COMPANY TO ISSUE THE INSURANCE AND ANY
RENEWALS THEREOF IN RELIANCE THEREON.
T AGREE THAT IF MY PREMIUM REMITTANCE IS NOT HONORED BY THE BANK
NO COVERAGE WILL BE BOUND. I ALSO UNDERSTAND THAT MISREPRESENTATION OF
INFORMATION ON THIS APPLICATION COULD VOID SOME OR ALL OF MY COVERAGES.
*** REFER TO POLICY AND DECLARATIONS FOR CO LETE C0 E 1 E FORMATION ***
Sain
PREMIUM $123.45 V 1).
AMT PAID $0.00 . DATE /WUS7 BE RSON    -’  OF APPLICANT
xxxxxxx INSURANCE AGENCY xxxxxxx
xxxxxxx AGENT #xxxxxxx DATE iB.*?"SIGNATURE