Hi Dan,

I suspect that most users will be more comfortable using SuperDuper!  The
differences are less the VO interface than the working style and
frequency/level of reporting activities differences between the two software
applications.  The straight cloning feature can be used for free in the trial
download of SuperDuper!, and I've heard its developer is very responsive to
requests and questions.  Carbon Copy Cloner has been around since well before
SuperDuper! existed, and is in some ways a classic, and maintained as a labor
of love.  (The developer of CCC, Mike Bombich, later got hired by Apple).  CCC
is often chosen by people who come in from a linux or unix background, and/or
are programmers.  But it uses a terser dialog style.  One feature of CCC that
I've found easier to use is if you want to exclude certain files from a cloned
backup, as when I have large data files that are separately backed up.
SuperDuper! is supposed to have scripts that will let you do that, but I've
never found the descriptions straight forward.

For the general VoiceOver user, I suspect that SuperDuper! will be a more
comfortable choice.

Cheers,

Esther

On Jun 19, 2011, at 14:14, Dan wrote:

> Hello Esther,
> Between Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper, which one provides the best VO
> interface for a totally blind person?
>
> TIA!
>

> Dan
>
> On Jun 19, 2011, at 4:35 PM, Esther wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Ezzie, here's yet another suggestion: it's possible that you have a bad
>> sector on your hard drive that prevents your Mac from completing the boot
>> up.  If so, it's still possible to boot your Mac from an alternate drive,
>> and also access your original disk (any parts that are not damaged), if
>> you've created bootable clones with either Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper!
>> as part of your backup strategy.
>>
>> To boot from a backup that's been created as a bootable clone, connect the
>> drive, then hold down the Option key while you turn on your computer to
>> start booting. Once the boot process initiates, you press the right (or
>> left) arrow key and then press the return key to indicate that you want to
>> switch your boot drive from the default. VoiceOver won't speak until your
>> system boots up (from your cloned drive), but once it does, you can log in
>> and take a look at your current hard drive and access or copy files.
>>
>> I keep a bootable clone of my system's hard drive for emergency recovery
>> purposes.  Generally, I'll make one of these as a backup action before major
>> system upgrades, so I have a complete, working image of my system before the
>> upgrade.  This type of backup is different from Time Machine backups, which
>> are more suited to retrieving individual files you were working on a few
>> weeks ago that might have been deleted. Bootable clones of hard drives are
>> useful in the case of sudden, catastrophic failures, but they take more time
>> to make, so you don't create them as frequently.  The two popular sources
>> are:
>> • Bombich Software (for Carbon Copy Cloner, donationware, suggested $15,
>> free to educational users)
>> http://www.bombich.com/
>> • Shirt Pocket (for SuperDuper! $27.95, but free trial download supports
>> full cloning feature)
>> http://www.shirt-pocket.com/
>>
>> Both sources of software provide good results, but new users may feel more
>> comfortable with SuperDuper! whose documentation goes into more details
>> about how backups work.
>>
>> HTH.  Cheers,
>>
>> Esther
>>
>> On Jun 19, 2011, at 07:11, Tim Kilburn wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> If you have one of the newer laptops where the battery is not removable, do
>>> the following:
>>>
>>> 1.  Make sure the unit is turned off.
>>> 2.  Plug in your power adapter to the computer and the wall socket.