Hi Deb,
I can take a crack at helping with this.  You can edit the SMTP server settings
in Mail preferences, in the Accounts pane.  You'll need to take the account
offline, I think, but after that the process is fairly straight-forward.  You
can set things up so only a specific server will be used per each account.
THe other is somewhat more complicated.  You can't completely disable the
combined inbox, as far as I know.  What you can do is show the mailboxes table
with the button in the favorites bar and configure your favorites in such a way
as to let you switch between work and home inboxes with a key press.  It's a
somewhat complex process, but explained in Mail help.  I can't vouch for this
one since I don't mind the combined box myself.
Hope this helps somewhat,
Zack.