As someone who just upgraded to Lion, I would recommend waiting for a while
until some of the bugs are worked out, especially since you are a new user and
are just learning.  While I personally have not found the bugs to be
show-stoppers for me, I just think that things will be worked out more as time
goes on.  Having said that, however, if you read the new features in Lion and
you are feeling particularly itchy to upgrade, go for it.  I haven't seen on
this list, nor have I experienced myself, any horrific problems with the
upgrade like losing everything on your drive or having other terrible things
happen.  Most of the bugs that do exist appear to be nuisances of various
degrees of severity.  So, I would say, if you want stability and
predictability, you might want to wait a bit, but if there are compelling
features or if you are just really wanting the latest thing, I think you would
be safe to go ahead and take the plunge.  I think it depends a lot on what kind
of person you are.  In any case, backups are you best friend, so make them
regularly.

Good luck.

Lynn