Dan,

Before doing a clean install of the entire OS, I would look at the apps that
are causing you problems.

I'm running iTunes 10.4 on two different machines with well over 6000 items in
the Library and have no issues other than needing to use VO keys or Quick Nav
more than I'm used to.  So, I not convinced that the issue is 10.4.  On a rare
occasion, iTunes was being sluggish, I simply Quit it, waited a bit then opened
it again and everything was back to normal.  I didn't totally figure out the
reason why but it seems to be linked to my impatience.  That is, if I start
pressing VO key combinations to quickly almost confusing iTunes or VO, then it
misbehaves.  Come to think of it, that is the sort of thing that caused Safari
to act stupid as well, I start doing VO things before the page is fully built
or doing too many combinations in succession as I rush through things.

1.  Questions:

        • Are you running iTunes 10.3 or 10.4 now?
        • I'm guessing that you lost all playlists upon re-importing your media
or did you do something else to create the new Library?

2.  When starting up iTunes, hold down the Option key.  This will bring up a
dialog asking you to choose an iTunes Library or Create a new one.  Create a
new one, import your media and see how the new one behaves.  This allows you to
keep all playlists and such in the older one so that you can export then import
them into the new one.  the playlists are simply text files, not the actual
media therefore there's no duplication.

3.  Update it to 10.4, if you haven't already, as it is the version most
optimized for Lion.

4.  With Safari, are you using Quick Nav or regular VO navigation, Group or DOM
navigation?

5.  Do you have an example of the site so I can try to see if it reacts the
same to me?

Later…

On 2011-07-24, at 2:32 PM, Dan Roy wrote:

> I am not sure whether these issues are related to Lion or the upgrades of
> Safari and iTunes.
>
> First, before upgrading to Lion, I wanted to make sure that I had the latest
> updates. So, when I checked, I went ahead and installed both Safari 5.1 and
> iTunes 10.4.
>
> After completing the Lion update, I-Tunes had been rolled back to 10.3.  I
> assume this is because of the update for I-Tunes being released after Lion.
> Anyway, because of this, I had a problem with my iTunes library, it was
> created for 10.4 and not compatible with 10.3.  The update to 10.4 wouldn't
> work for me.  So, I deleted the existing library and recreated it by
> importing all my music and other stuff back in to iTunes.
>
> Since then, I have read about the problems with iTunes 10.4 so have avoided
> the upgrade.
>
> Now, finally, to my problems.
>
> I-tunes is extremely sluggish when moving through my list of songs.
> Periodically it will say busy busy and I will have to wait some seconds
> before continuing to move through the list.  This is a complaint I read about
> on this list, but, that was with 10.4, or, at least, I thought it was.
>
> The other problem is that on some sites, I am getting safari busy messages
> all the time while trying to scroll through an article.  This is totally
> inconsistent and I can't figure it out.
>
> yes, I have already taken the suggestion of turning off the monitoring of
> live areas, this appears to have made absolutely no difference whatsoever.
>
> I have also tried webkit with the latest nightly build and it has made no
> difference at all.
>
> I am wondering now if, because of the upgrade first and then downgrade to
> iTunes, if something is corrupt.  I have, as I said before, already
> completely removed and imported all my music and other stuff in iTunes.
>
> So, I am thinking now that I will have to do an install from scratch.
> However, I am trying to avoid this if possible.
>
> Everything else, as far as I know, is working just fine.
>
> If anyone has any ideas at all, I would definitely appreciate them.
>
> Thanks so much.

Tim Kilburn
Fort McMurray, AB Canada