Generally ARIA live regions are a addition to standard HTML so while it's possible this type of stuff could migrate to desktop apps, it's really meant as a web-application helper. I have heard that Flash is or will adopt ARIA for their ActionScript language for similar purposes, but my previous posts already document the many hurdles to Flash working accessibly on any platform, not to mention OSX.

CB