Hello,

I am a blind computer user and want very badly to purchase a Mac, as I
am sick and tired of Windows lack of built-in screen readers. (I used
Macs for years but had to shift to Windows because of my job.) Since I
am partly paralyzed, I have trouble typing. Is there a dictation
program I can use that works with VoiceOver?

I have been told by the folks at Nuance that Dragon Dictate does not
work with VoiceOver. I need something that will automatically read
back to me the text that the voice recognition program has typed onto
the screen. For example, if I say "Today is Sunday" the software will
print "Today is Sunday" on the screen. I need VoiceOver to read "Today
is Sunday" to me automatically when it appears on the screen, without
having to ask it to read it. I have been told that VoiceOver will not
do this in Dragon Dictate.

I have searched the web looking for resources in this regard, to no
avail.

If I used Dragon Dictate in iWorks, Pages, or TextEdit, would
VoiceOver read the text to me as it appeared?

Even if I had no speech-in voice-out Mac alternative, could I buy a
Mac and run my Windows programs on it with faster results? I was
thinking about getting a MacBook Pro. What configuration would you
recommend? As a point of reference, I am presently using a HP touch
smart Tx2 notebook pc with a Turion x2 Dual core mobile RM-75 2.20 GHz
with 4.0 GB RAM and Windows 64-bit operating system. Even using speech
output alone slows it to a crawl, so that it takes up to five seconds
for letters I type to appear on the screen. Using Dragon
NaturallySpeaking on my computer slows me down to about one word per
minute, even without using my screenreader.

Maybe I should just get a wireless keyboard for my iPad and use it in
an Orgami holder so I can pick it up and access the touchscreen
easily.

By the way, it would be SO HELPFUL if the App Store or some other
place gave detailed information about every app's compatability with
VoiceOver.

Thank you so much for your help and any suggestions you may have. I
really appreciate it and you.

Sincerely,

Denise