Hello Paul,

Whichever mailbox is reported as "checked" is the mailbox you will find when
you navigate to your message list. I believe the checkboxes on Mail's Favorites
bar would actually be better described as radio buttons because you can only
have one selected at a time. You'll notice if you navigate between the items on
the favorites bar, pressing VO+spacebar on one item will "uncheck" whichever
other item was previously "checked.".

Regarding your second question: Yes, one of the functions of the favorites bar
is to allow access to mailboxes if the mailbox list is closed. In addition, it
also provides a nice set of shortcuts to selected mailboxes via the
Command+1,2,3,etc keystrokes. The favorites bar can be used whether the mailbox
list is opened or closed.

HTH,
Bryan