Hi shen say if you purchase a new macbook pro from an apple store and they want to update from snow lepard would i encourage them to do a clean install? because i plan to get in to it in the next few weeks? I like the fact, i can use, a macc straight out of the box with a reasonably good clear voice, when i was at my brothers last sunday, he had a 17 inch macbook pro and i was experimenting a bit.
cheers gerry skype gerry.cook1
----- Original Message ----- From: "Shen" <goalb...@gmail.com>
To: <macvisionaries@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Friday, August 12, 2011 4:11 PM
Subject: Lion clean install

Hello,
So I decided to take the plunge today and do a clean installation of Lion.
I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to install Lion. In fact, it was so easy the whole process took less than an hour. VoiceOver spoke to me the entire time. So far, I've been using it for about 2 hours. I do feel that a clean installation of Lion does make it run a bit more smoothly. I don't think it's faster, but just more smooth.
There are 3 small anomalies that I thought were a bit odd.
First, during the installation process, it asked me to set the time zone. This was normal. But what was not normal was the fact that it has my city preselected. I just have to click "continue". Second, after installation, I just assumed I need to setup my Bluetooth keyboard to work. No, it is already connected and working. How's this possible? I'm quite certain I had erased the hard drive and did a clean installation. It's interesting that of all the settings I had, it remembered the time zone and my Bluetooth keyboard. Why not my VoiceOver settings, or Finder settings? The third thing is probably more of a problem with Lion. When making certain changes in System Preferences, you have to click the Lock button to allow you to make changes. When you do this, another dialog window pops up asking you to authenticate the administrator account. For some reason, when this window pops up, VoiceOver will say that the authentication windows is busy and it will stay busy for at least 30 seconds, maybe an entire minute. I find this very bizarre. Finally, when it is ready, I can type my user name and password.
Anyways, over all, it has been a pleasant surprise so far.

Except for the last 5 minutes. As I was typing this email, Mail quit unexpectedly. I've never seen this happen before. But then, when I reopened Mail, what a surprise, it saved a draft of my email so I didn't lose anything. For those who are having lots of issues with Lion, especially when the user experience is not as good or better than Snow Leopard, I recommend considering a clean install. It is so easy to install. For iTunes, I just copied the music folder to an external drive. After installing Lion, I copied it back and my entire library is there. Can't get any easier than that.

Virus Database (VPS): 110811-1, 12/08/2011
Tested on: 12/08/2011 4:16:10 PM

Virus Database (VPS): 110811-1, 12/08/2011
Tested on: 12/08/2011 4:22:12 PM