Hello Joe,

Your System Preferences settings should stick, so it looks as though you have a
problem somewhere.

First thing to do is repair permissions. To do this, open the Utilities folder
(Cmd-Shift-u) and find Disk Utility. In Disk Utility, interact with the table
and select the second row which should be your HD. Stop interacting and
navigate right to select First Aid. Then go right again to Repair Disk
Permissions. Click this and wait. You can see what's happening by interacting
with the Results table.

If this doesn't fix your problem, try resetting the PRAM. To do this, shut down
your computer, then hold down the Command, Option, letter P and letter R keys
and, keeping these four held down, press the Power key and release it. Hold
down the four keys until you've heard the start up chime four times, then
release them and let the machine boot as normal.

If all this fails, you'll need to throw away the plist for System Preferences.
It will be rebuilt immediately, so don't worry. You'll find this plist in your
Home Library in the folder called Preferences (not Preference Panes). The file
is called com.apple.systempreferences.plist. The Library folder is hidden but
you can get to it in the Finder by pressing Cmd-Shift-g and typing "~/Library"
without the quotes. You can put a shortcut to this folder in your sidebar by
pressing Cmd-t once you've found the folder for the first time. Thereafter,
you'll just need to find it in the sidebar.

Cheers,

Anne