Ok, yes, I have my macbook now, and, the charger does work.  However, you make
a valid point about passing on the newer charger.

Right now though, the fan in my Macbook air is going quite fast.  I am hoping
this is from initial indexing.  I just dropped about 30GB of data on it.

Otherwise, working ok!