Good evening,

Having made the switch myself a few months ago, I'll weigh in on some of your
questions, and hope this assists you somewhat at least.

I too came to the Mac because of my iPhone experience. I had friends who were
Mac users, and after playing with their machines here and there, using my
iPhone nearly exclusively by way of a bluetooth keyboard, and spending
extensive time at my local Apple store, I began prepping myself for the
purchase.

I read, read, and read more, asked questions to the lists, and even delved into
the podcasts available on sites such as blindcooltech.com but the real
education came from jumping into the experience, and, well, getting to know the
Mac.

Office products particularly those by Microsoft aren't accessible to us, so
save your money. I use Pages, and Text edit nearly exclusively, but so far, not
for anything extensively demanding. I.E documents which require a lot of
formatting, tables etc. You can, however, run windows on your Mac, either via
bootcamp, which provides you with a dual boot setup, or via a VM situation,
thus allowing for both operating systems to run intandem.

Web navigation, particularly under Lion is fantastic, though I'd suggest giving
your Mac as much ram as you can afford when configuring it. If you've used
quicknav with a bluetooth keyboard on your iPhone, Safari on the Mac works
similarly, with the addition of first letter navigation.

You can use iBooks under IOS to read pdfs btw.

That about covers it for me, though if you've any other questions, or simply
want further thoughts, suggestions, ideas, feel free to contact me off list at
this address.

Have a good evening, and happy decision-making. I love my Mac, this is a
fantastic community, so you're in good hands as to assistance with this choice.

Foursquare: IndigoCellist

Twitter: @IndigoCellist

Skype: shameless_FanGirl

Sent from my iPhone