Hi Teresa,
Are you using classic view in lion mail or not? I'm also curious how to find
the message numbers, but I'm in the message column and interacting with the
message table, and in conversation view on the view menu. When find a
conversation and I press tab, I just land on a list of messages that together
make up that conversation. No message numbers. Am I missing something?

Paul.