Hi,
Normally I let my systems start up automatically with noi password at all but now with my new mac I have indeed setup a startup password AND encryption. After a few minutes of non-use I have to enter that password again. I feel very secure now even takingmy laptop along to other locations and leaving it alone for a while. What I like about the boot up process AFTER your drive is encrypted is, that if you enter cmd+f5 you will hear a beep when your computer is ready for input, you then hear a beep if its right and another beep if it is wrong, also this goes for the password. Just experiment with it for yourself its very niftily done. I havent heard of anything like this being possible on a windows system and while I did not use it before i got my mba, i like it a lot and it makes me feel a lot more secure.
Greetings, Anouk,