Hi Ezzie,
The header section is where you put anything you want at the top of the page,
especially recurring text such as your last name.  This is a great place for
your name and it is where the page number will go.  Footers are for things like
footnotes.

Add page numbers by going into Insert on the menu bar and selecting auto page
numbers.  This will open a dialogue that lets you specify where you want the
page numbers.  Add your name to the header section and you should have what you
want.  Pages generally copies whatever you put into the first header and puts
the same on subsequent headers.  This can be helpful or unhelpful, depending on
what you need.

As for other formatting, you can access most things through the inspector
dialogue, which you pull up with CMD+Option+I.

I would suggest searching the archives of this list for more info.  There
several good threads on formatting in pages.

HTH,
Greg