Well, we could have a feature off.

Does the mp3 player have a search feature allowing you to search through
thousands of songs? Create and edit playlists on the device? Purchase music and
download it wirelessly? Download audible books and podcasts wirelessly? Have
access to 15,000 internet radio streams? Provide you with music recognition?
This is of course scratching the surface, and some of what you mentioned, mp3
audio books, ogg and flac, the iPhone will do.  An mp3 player blowing the
iPhone out of the water on feature sets, quality, and ease of use seems like
less of a "no brainer" than you suggest.

But this is really beside the point.  The initial discussion was sparked by
your comment:

If you still don't see why someone would pay the ten bucks, I'm probably not
going to change your mind.

If I suggested that the iPhone competes feature for feature with things like
GPS units, mp3 players, cameras, etc, I didn't intend to.  The point is that,
where an app allows you to accomplish what you would normally accomplish with a
stand-alone device, then being willing to pay a small amount of money for the
app even when the device is free doesn't seem that strange to me.

Cheers,

Marc