Hi, here we go again. Every time I switch on my Mac I take a deep
breath. I think about all the amazing reviews I’ve read about these
computers and assume that perhaps, this time, I will finally have a
really positive experience. Today’s task was uploading something to
sendspace. Things started off so well. Sendspace.com loaded no
problem; I found the select file button no problem/ when I clicked on
it, I got a window opening for me to choose my file. I’m not saying
this is the fault of the Mac; it’s probably me and my stubbornness
after years of using windows, but it took me ages to find the file I
wanted. Did I have to interact with the sidebar or the thing that was
called list. There was also a popup menu with a folder selected.
Choices choices. After a few minutes of pressing buttons I found the
file. The process seemed to have some level of cohesion to it, but I’m
not sure what exactly it was. I’m sure it’s very clever and much
simpler than the windows way of doing things. In windows I could have
found my file in three seconds, rather than four minutes.

Anyway, I accept that this is probably just something I need to learn
and practise. Fine. I found my file and went to upload. I pressed the
upload button and I got: “Safari busy. Busy. Busy. Busy”. After a half
a minute I eventually heard “safari, ready”. Hurrah, I can finally
check to see if my file is uploading. I pressed VO right arrow and
heard to my dismay “Safari busy. Busy. Busy”. I quit safari and tried
again. But I got the same problem. Yet again I shut down my Mac and
booted up my windows machine. Within two minutes my file was happily
uploading to send space. While it uploaded I checked my emails using
another instance of Internet explorer. The file has now finished
uploading and I am going to email it to my friends. Windows hasn’t
said “busy” at me once. And what really gets me about this is that the
netbook cost £150 and I’m using the free screen reader NVDA.

How is it possible? I really want to know. I’ve got way more am than
my windows machine, and my Mac cost fifteen times more than my
netbook. How come I have to keep turning off my Mac and turning on my
windows machine? The mac looks great; it’s fast; it’s really quiet –
very little fan noise. But it can’t do things. It’s ten times faster
than my windows computer, but that only means it can do much more to
annoy me in a far shorter period of time than my windows computer.

I want to join the Mac party. You all seem so elated by your Macs. Is
there a magic button to press that starts making it behave. I know I’m
ranting again but surely you can see my point. Is my experience so
anomalous? I read about all these people who say they bought a Mac and
now never use windows. But if I didn’t have a windows computer then
I’d achieve nothing.

I know this isn’t’ VO specific. I know it may even annoy some of you.
I know it’s not a particularly productive email. But if you do find
this email to be annoying and unproductive, think of it as a metaphor
for my general experience with the Mac. I feel as if I am the odd one
out, and I am waiting for the day that I am castigated from this list
for being “too PC”. O what irony. I hope you all enjoyed my hilarious
ending joke. I’m so sorry for ranting. I feel like an idiot. Please,
treat me like one. Tell me how I get the Mac to do the fundamental
element of a computer. That is: to compute! Because I am going to end
up not bothering to turn this machine on, which is such a shame
because it should be a great computer? Apparently.

I’m sure I’ll get there, and I promise, if I do, I’ll be singing the
Mac’s praises.
Thanks to everyone for being so patient and understanding.

--
http://www.davideagle.co.uk