Interesting. So it's like the Dragon iOS approach where they encode an audio snippet, send it off and the real work is done on some cloud processor? So what was all the claims about using the new A5 chip and being 4S only because of compute requirements? Maybe it's just compute intensive to quickly encode the audio snippet.

That said, spoken word audio is pretty small. 64 or 128kbs is only 8 or 16 K per second. A typical command is probably only 5 seconds or 80K at the higher data rate. So just 1MB would handle about 12 transactions. So a 200MB a month plan would handle some 2500 Siri commands. Twice that or more if they are able to compress 64kpbs or lower and/or if the commands are less than 5 seconds.

All that said, there is a brewing storm over mobile data caps because all the new cloud, sync, mobile innovation is going to hit a wall soon. While I got grandfathered in on an unlimited plan for my iPhone, my wife has the paltry 200MB plan on hers and we've already been dinged once for $15 when she went over. Caps on home cable/dsl plans are much more liberal but today's expansive pipe is tomorrow's soda straw. It's a cycle that's happened a dozen times or so and I do recall the days when 300 baud modems were 'fast' and who would need anything faster? Then it was 1200, then 2400, then 9600, then 14.4, then 28.8 then 56kpb then 128, 256, 512, 1Mbps and today it's multiple Mbps. Difference is that back then when you bought a 256kbps DSL connection it was expected that you could use it all you want. Today you can get 25Mbps or higher but there is a cap. What good will new faster 4G networks be when you can consume your entire plan allotment in a day? This will start to get ugly soon.

CB