Dear Karen,

I have not done this myself in all the years I have had a Mac except back in
the 90's with Disk First Aid.  I did open disk Utility and  went to Disk
Utility Help.  Under Disk Repair it tells  how to repair the disk.  If it is
the  disk that is also being used as  the start up disk, the disk utility is a
little limited.  Apparently , it is better to run Disk Utility  from the
original Installation disks if they are available.

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Robert