It might be easier to associate a keyboard command with the following Apple
script for ease of access.
***

tell document 1 of application "TextEdit"
        set wordcount to the (count of words) as text
        set charactercount to the (count of characters) as text
end tell
say wordcount & " words and " & charactercount & " characters"