Due to my newness to the mac, I can't compare with prior versions of
OS X but one observation I do concur with is the lack of focus to the
desktop when VO is started.  I found a work-around for that one though
and I never suffer that one anymore.  I added at least one item to my
list of items to launch at login.  I do this in the user settings
under system preferences.  In my case, I added the terminal app in
there because I like to use terminal from time to time so I figured it
a good choice.  Now whenever I login, I just press command+f5 to start
VO (this is due to me not having a monitor connected) VO starts up
every time and focuses me right to the desktop.  Oh, I have the
checkbox for terminal set to hide otherwise I think terminal would
grab the focus.  I thought the boot time to be a bit lengthy byt a lot
of windows systems are slower than that.  I've only seen the "busy"
stuff once in a while; wasn't sure what the cause of that was.  I see
that a lot with Mail and IMAP implementations and I figured that was
caused by fetching a new message every time you move up and down the
message list.