I have recently been fooling around with flash drives in terminal for downloading nls digital books.

When a flash drive is inserted in a usb port the name of the product appears in /Volumes like a directory.

Because I have two flash drives I renamed the brand name of each to another to describe the items to be put on them.

I used the mv command to rename the flash drive. I then placed the books in it. When the drive was removed the books were on it and were played by the nls digital machine.

Now when i put one of the flash drives in, the original brand name appears along with the renamed drives as described above. The renamed drives are empty. The drive with brand name has the books placed there originally in one of the renamed drives.

They appear as empty directories but cann't be deleted.

So, how can one rename a flash drive and how can I get rid of the original names I chose for the brand name.

I have tried umount with no luck. Maybe there is another better command or my syntax is off. What would be a proper command to remove the renamed but empty drives?

Thanks.

                               XB