Hello Becky,

In TextEdit, in the Format menu, there's a Wrap to command which toggles
between Wrap to page and Wrap to window.

For straight reading, you should set it to Wrap to window, whereas should you
wish to be able to navigate by page, you should set it to Wrap to page.

The shortcut is Cmd-Shift-w, so it's easy to switch between the two.

Cheers,

Anne