Hey Mike,

You will have much better accessibility if you enable the HTML5 feature of
Youtube.
Go to http://www.youtube.com/html5 and just click the link that will allow you
to join the HTML5 beta program. It will save a Cookie in your browser and that
will be all.
After that, all videos that can be streamed and rendered using HTML5 will have
some new options that you will be able to read with VoiceOver, including the
Pause option.

I do not use Youtube extensively and hope my info is still up to date.

Let me know if this solution works and good luck,