As far as the AVIs go, it depends. AVI is a container like Quicktime which can contain any number of tracks encoded in any number of formats. So some AVIs you can play with QuickTime and some might have proprietary codecs you'll never be able to play. One add-on I use called Perian allows Quicktime to handle a raft of other codecs like Xiph Vorbis, Divx and Indeo:

http://perian.org/

I would start with that. While you're at it you should probably get Flip4Mac which allows QT to play Windows Media if it isn't DRMed:

http://www.telestream.net/update-check/wmv/wmv-update-player.htm

look for the Free Download Link.

CB