I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing or not.  I didn't
think the message area was a preview pane.  I'm now using the standard
or modern view; I find it easier than the classic view; frankly, I
couldn't keep the message window from opening even in that view any
way.  Now with the newer format, I can arrow up and down the list of
messages and then hit VO-J to jump to the message area and hit the
same key again to get back to the list.  If I were to eliminate that
window, I probably wouldn't be able to open that message, would I?

As for collapsing and expanding threads, I have never had any issues;
I just be sure quick nav is off and then use right arrow to open the
thread and left to close.  VO will announc how many new rows are added
to the table when expanded.  I also configured Mail not to mark all
messages as read when expanding threads.  that extra bit does help.  I
haven't had any actual crashes of Mail since I started using it.

>>> Twitter:@apple2thecore