if I may make an observation here,

air drop isn't necessarily needed here. Air drop is an added feature.

a way to go about this from a more straight forward approach is to enable
sharing of your husband's mac and yours on the home network through "Sharing"
within system preferences. turn on file sharing and enable read write
permissions for yourself and the other computer. close this window.

open a finder window and you should see another mac appear within the finder
sidebar. you can either send directly to the public folder or direct to the
drive and access directories on the other system. please note that you will
need to do two things. firstly ensure the other machine has file sharing
enabled and read write permissions available for logged in users and secondly
you connect to the system with your username and password. this should then
grant permission to connect as a guest to host connection. you should then have
connection to the other machine to send and receive data.

lew