Hi Lew,

The iPad 2 camera is too low resolution to give good results with Prizmo, at
least for visually impaired users.  You can also tell this is the case by
trying to run Prizmo on a screen captured image -- where there is no shake in
taking a picture -- and comparing the results on an iPhone and an iPad.  Now,
the resolution used for screen capture doesn't have to be the same as what's
used for the camera, but it's possible to tell that the same screens that I can
OCR with the iPhone 4 start to mistake letters on the iPad 2 screen captures.
For example, you can check this if you capture a screen of text from iBooks.

While a few people have gotten results using Prizmo on the iPhone 3GS,
reportedly the camera on this isn't really good enough for regular use by
visually impaired individuals. When Prizmo was first being intensely discussed
on the viphone list, with a lot of suggestions by Sandy Tomkins of practical
ways to improve results, Rose Morales was able to get a near-perfect OCR of a
book page on her iPhone 3GS at the first try.  That's very unusual, and it was
enough to make some people, like Geoff Waaler, purchase the app.  He was able
to use it to get some results on the iPhone 3GS, but really the place where
he's now using Prizmo is his iPhone 4S.

I'd say that you'd really want an iPhone 4 or 4S to use Prizmo.  The new iPad
camera is supposed to be as good as the camera on the iPhone 4, so that might
also be a possibility.

Here's the App Store link:
• Prizmo ($9.99) by Creaceed:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/prizmo/id366791896?mt=8

HTH.  By the way, there's also a Mac version of Prizmo which uses the camera on
your computer.  I don't recommend that application for visually impaired users,
despite the success of their iOS app.

Cheers,

Esther